Gang Starr Releases 'Daily Operation' (May 5, 1992)


On May 5, 1992, Gang Starr released its third studio album, Daily Operation.

Daily Operation featured some of Premier’s most innovative production techniques. In an interview with VIBE, Premier said that the album gave him more confidence as a DJ. In 1998, The Source magazine selected Daily Operation as one of the 100 Best Hip Hop Albums.

"Before this album, I was getting a few calls from other artists to work with me. KRS-One reached out, but I was like, 'Nah, I’m not ready yet,'" he said. "I thought Kris was too large of an icon for me to even think that I could pull off an album with him. I was too nervous. But when he reached out after Daily Operation I said, 'Ok, I’ll do it.' I did so many songs with other artists after that album."
One of the songs of the album, "B.Y.S.", was featured in the video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on the fictional radio station Playback FM.


Comments