The OneDer “Full” Charismatic South African Rapper: Wandile Maseko


When I think of poetic word play, skillful rap technique, and sultry nu-jazz sounds, I think of this soft spoken, yet admittedly “full of myself”, charismatic South African rapper, Wandile Maseko aka OneDer. He’s an up and coming artist making moves in South Africa with ripples reaching across the pond.

You can enjoy the level of skill he’s attained while being driven along on melodious beats. Having dedicated himself for a number of years to the practice of clever word play and storytelling, in the song “Move It”,  he exerts seamless, well-tuned flows, with clever pronunciation, 
"I got the mic proving, that I am improving. An entire movement of real rap music. Jazz Catz produce it, these lyrics, they fusing with only a flow that is fluid and shows my influence in rapping real fluent
He flawlessly changes rhyme skemes by incorporating multiple rhyme patterns and first syllable word play,
Jazz Catz bring hits that kick tybo, breaking tables; winning titles from rivals. They couldn't make it move, even shadows; they breaking Adams; choking oesophagus with apples. It's hard to breath, need hydro. My flows move Mikes; Jacksons and Jordans to dunk real tight and dance flawless. The rest sinking deep - these concrete shoes make 'em die slow, I'm bringing flows that tidal.



Talking to HHND this month, the South African artist shared how he came to be a hip hop songwriter and emcee,
"I was a poet and book-writer before I became a rapper and I was comfortable in a sense that I could write about anything and everything then I decided to add a beat to my works ... where I'm from (Gauteng, Vaal area), especially in the early years of my high school life (2006-2008) there was a tradition of ciphers and battles that would take place and everyone would enjoy the scene and having seen such from my peers, I fell in love with the art of freestyling."
Like many rap artists today breaking the stereotype of the uneducated rap artist, Maseko is pursuing a Diploma in Business Information Technology from the University of Johannesburg. Notwithstanding, he released his first mixtape "I Could Be Wrapping: Stoner's Release", via The Bakery Academy in June 2013.  Last month, he released a dual-song music video on YouTube, "Dedication to Hip hop" and "My Dreams ". "Dedication to Hip hop" appears on the Stoner's Release mixtape and explores the artist's love for the art & culture of hip hop. Over a romantic R&B sampled track, OneDer declares:
"Dear Hip Hop, I thank thee, from now on; 'til the very end of eternity, even when I die it be clear to me; That Rhythm and that Poetry; Carries life like a bed during surgery, And I find it quite amazing how the beat gets me lifted, then my lyrical inserts, give an inert some movement...Hip Hop, I'll never let you go. Hip Hop, I’ll never let you go. Hip hop my life-line, my after life, listen as I rescue yours the same way that you did mine."


A charismatic artist, with musical landscapes that are usually uplifting nu jazz or relaxing lounge fusion. His mission as an artist, he says, is "tryna bring change, not only to my pockets, but also to the world with my music and positive vibes." Upcoming projects include the release of a collaborative winter mixtape poetically entitled "Some are Cool: Summer Cool".

Comments

Post a Comment