Did you know that, Afu-Ra is a student of the Martial arts?


I guess you didn't know that Afu-Ra, a well known New York-based underground rapper, can deliver rhymes as well as kicks and punches. The man studied Tae Kwon Do, a martial art originating in Korea that combines combat and self-defense techniques. In 1989, taekwondo was the world's most popular martial art, so there is no surprise that Afu-Ra choose Tae Kwon Do.

Being a good friend of Jeru The Damaja, Afu-Ra had the chance to visit Hong Kong for the shoot of the music video for "Ya Playin' Yaself", back in 1996.
"That shit was like a dream come true. I'm still tryin' to take it to the next level now. But doin' that was like, it was like livin' out a fantasy. We all have fantasies of doin' the Kung Fu every Sunday when it was on TV, or Saturday. And now it's like, I do Martial Arts. That's part of my life. I've studied Tae Kwon Do. I've been doin' it for a few years. So I'm just tryin' to keep my Physical right! I'm like the Rasta Jim Kelly!! Like Jet Li and all of them, I wanna look like that. Or live up how they doin' they thing. So it's like when I was miles and miles away from home, I never woulda thought that Hip Hop was gonna take me to Hong Kong. I never woulda thought that, but just doin' it has made me really see how deep this shit is. Because you could come from nowhere and jump up in the Game. And if your art is tight and people's feelin' you, you get Blessed with opportunities to do things. And you hundreds and thousands of miles away from your rest; you like on the other side of the world. And it's like Hip Hop is really movin' people!! It's movin' everything! To take me to Hong Kong, you know what I'm sayin??" 
                                                                     Afu-Ra interview 

Royce Da 5'9" mentions the fact that Afu-Ra knows his ways with the martial arts on the track "Hip Hop" released in 2004. 
"I said it before, I rep in records beats

At the headquarters, rest in peace
Nigga I'ma hold shotty and knock you out
         And I ain't gotta know Karate like Afu-ra" Royce Da 5'9'' in "Hip Hop"

Comments