Malina Suliman

How can one say that Graffiti isn't a form of art? I really don't know.

But what I do know is that Malina Suliman is one of the many Graffiti writers that risk their life and I mean it, they really risk their life, not just a fine from a cop.


"I would paint graffiti on the rocks and walls and they would throw stones at me and condemn me. I would move to another area but they would follow me there and pelt me with stones."

She then faced not just the wrath of the Taliban but also opposition to her work from her family.


"I was virtually under house arrest with no access to the internet and not allowed to meet outsiders. It felt like living in hell," she recalls.


She says that her graffiti was a desperate act of defiance both against her family and the Taliban.

Malina was even invited to the presidential palace in Kabul, but she was unhappy with the measures taken by the government to improve equality between men and women in Afghanistan.

After her father was attacked and got his hip broken, she decided to leave Kandahar and return only when things cooled down. She enrolled for a hobby class in the Metal Works department at the JJ School of Art and Architecture in the city of Mumbai, India.

Comments